Friday, March 19, 2010

Casualties of War

Subtitle:  Puke, The True Weapon of Mass Destruction

It’s been a beautiful spring day here.  Sunny skies, temps in the 70’s, a lovely breeze.  The boys and I played hooky and enjoyed getting out of the house.  We went to the library and checked out a pile of books then headed to the park.  We haven’t been there in months and it’s lucky we went today as it will be closed soon for maintenance.

IMG_6313 IMG_6311 I don’t know what kind of tree this is, but I WANT ONE!  Several of my neighbors have them and they have the most beautiful flowers and so early in the season.  I mean look at it, a tree still bare of leaves, but with gorgeous purple blooms.

IMG_6316 IMG_6331 Look at my little monkeys, they just love this slide.

IMG_6342 IMG_6329 Needless to say, we had tons of fun.  After a while, though, my monkeys were getting red faced and tired and it was time to pick up big brother from school, so we headed out.  As always we parked in the pick up line and continued reading our book of the week.  I noticed ds4 squirming in the backseat…"What’s wrong, dude?”  “I think I’m going to puke.”

And that was it.  All the warning I got.  Before the gushing of red icee drink and chicken nugget chunks hit the floor of the van, the stack of library books, my beloved Disney World tote, dh’s new car mats.  All of which are now in our trash can awaiting Monday morning’s pickup.  Well, I managed to save the tote but it’s on it’s last legs I tell ‘ya…been through one wash, currently being pretreated again and awaiting wash number 2.  I dread going to the library Monday and having to explain what happened (and fork out the money to replace the books…which, btw I was really looking forward to reading!)  Sigh.  I’ve been trying to reflect on all this and understand what lesson I am supposed to have learned.  Other than that red icee drink is officially evil and must be banned.  (At least it now is in our house.)

Ah well, just a minor bump in the road on this journey we call motherhood.  I am blessed that my boys are home and we could enjoy the beautiful day.  I am blessed and thankful that they are healthy, happy boys and that I am their MOM.  Lesson learned.  :)

1 comment:

  1. This post evoked many memories of when my children were doing the exact same thing. Red drink always seems to go a long way when its on the way back up. You did though have a brilliant day and enjoyed it with your lovely boys. Hope the library will be ok.. HUgs GJ and Carol x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!