Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Homeschool Memoirs #3: Routines

routines

This week for Homeschool Memoirs, hosted by Homeschool Blog Awards, we are to share about our routines.  This year our routine is a bit more, um, routine than in the past. ;) My youngest is almost 4 now and he is able to join in with schooling more and occupy himself more than in the past.  I also incorporated "group learning" this year for our history/geography/science.  I teach all three children the same monthly theme (human body, countries in Asia, the Olympics for last month) just on different levels.  It is working great so far!  Not only do they enjoy learning together, but it is less time consuming and stressful for me!  Oh, btw, "they" are my 8th grader, my 2nd grader and my preschooler. :)

So here is our routine so far this year.  I get up around 6:30 and eat breakfast, start a load of laundry, empty the dishwasher and prepare the learning table for the day.  I also get in some quiet time and check email and read blogs.  My youngest joins in around 7:30 or so and we have cuddle time and I get him some breakfast.  I get the older boys up at 8 and they are responsible for getting their breakfast and getting ready for school.  While they are getting ready I do some school with the youngest.  He loves having all this alone time with me!  Soon my oldest joins us and I teach him his math and writing lessons.  I print up his other assignments for the week and he completes those on his own.  My middle child is not a morning guy and usually joins in last. ;)  I do his math, reading, writing, etc. with him.  Then we have our group learning time!  We will do an experiment, go on a nature walk, play a geography quiz game on the computer, just all kinds of fun but educational things.

We take a break at lunch to eat and the boys usually head outside while I switch laundry and clean the kitchen.  If we have any errands to run like the library or such we do them after lunch.  I like to be home by 3 so I can give the house a quick blessing and start dinner.  My oldest will usually read or work on lessons he didn't finish and my younger ones will play with legos or blocks or something.  After dinner we all spend time with dh and my very oldest if he is not at work.  I may quiz ds2 on some things if he has a test coming up, and I let ds3 practice reading to me or dh, but we try to get all "formal" lessons in before lunch.

I have to say, flexibility in routine is one of the best things about homeschooling!  While all I wrote out is typical of our days, it doesn't mean that's what happens every day, and that's okay. :)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great routine to me. Have a blessed school year!

    http://tonsofsons.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your routine! It is great to see how everyone orders their day. :D

    Have a blessed day!
    Sherry
    http://lampuntomyfeetandalightuntomypath.blogspot.com/2008/09/homeschool-memoirs-our-schedule.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!