Saturday, November 21, 2009

It’s A Moth!

Remember Poopers?  The caterpillar I found on my hibiscus bush and have been keeping in a jar?  Well, he finally did his thing and cocooned and tonight…he’s the most beautiful moth I’ve ever seen!!!  I am bursting with surprise and excitement.  After months of feeding this guy and cleaning up his messes it has finally happened.  :)

IMG_4264 He’s huge, white and has black spots.  He is still hanging out in the jar.  The kids are freaking out…I have no idea why but the thought of a moth in the house is too much for them.  They hid in their rooms until I moved the jar to the garage.  Can you believe that?  I guess it takes a mother’s love.

IMG_4269 Here is a view of his back.  I found out he is a Giant Leopard Moth.  I have never seen one before, and now I’ve seen one actually grow.

IMG_4272 Here my assistant, Mimi, inspects the jar.  I can’t believe we’ve been banned to the garage lol.

IMG_4261 Here is what is left of the cocoon, still hanging on the jar lid.  Well, I’ll miss him, but I am so glad I got to see Poopers in action.  Hmm, I know you are thinking, “This crazy lady gets excited about the weirdest things!”  My dh and kids think so, too.  :)

1 comment:

  1. My kids are freaked out by moths, too, although they love butterflies, crickets, ants, spiders and any other bug they've come across. It makes no sense to me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!