Thursday, February 17, 2011

Helpful Homeschool Hints: Netflix

helpful_homeschool_hints

I am not a big fan of using television in our schooling.  I doubt that ds1 or ds2 ever watched any movies or videos (for school purposes) during the time I homeschooled them.  However, a good 10 years later, I am a bit more of a “relaxed” homeschool mom.  I don’t know if it’s because I now have 4 children to deal with or if it’s just that media has relentlessly seeped into our everyday lives via the internet (thanks a lot YouTube.)  (I cannot believe that YouTube was in the spell checker!  Ack!)  The point is that we do now occasionally use a movie or video to supplement our studies and I have found Netflix to be a great resource.  A simple search for a subject yields many results, both in dvd form and for instant viewing, from sources like Discovery, PBS and National Geographic.  And now that you can view Netflix on the Wii, it’s even more convenient and accessible.

Earlier in the year we watched an IMAX documentary when studying the Nile, and found many resources for our study of the arctic.  More recently we used a Magic School Bus dvd in our human body unit.  At less than $10 a month it’s a pretty helpful part of our schooling.  For more Helpful Homeschool Hints visit Mary at Many Little Blessings.

4 comments:

  1. Julie,

    Great minds must be thinking alike as I'd just linked up my post about Netflix when I saw yours in the link list for the meme!

    I have found that some subjects are more difficult to find when searching Netflix. But, when the options are more limited for the library up here it is a great resource to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the history channel and when I was little I liked the BBC programmes; a little TV can be very stimulating!

    Thanks for the purrs. Au ate again so we're hoping he's on an upswing. We really appreciate your support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also love Netflix! My kids' favorite is the streaming movies. I loved that when they added that to our membership!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Netflix would be a good homeschooling resource! Now that our children are grown, my husband and I just use Netflix to order movies online. But with the great selection available through Netflix, I can definitely see how it would be a good resource for educational films as well! I'll remember that for when we have grandkids!
    Deb @ LivingMontessoriNow.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!