Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Homeschool Wrapup 2013-2014 Year

I found an old post where I compared my curriculum choices from the beginning of the school year to the end and thought I’d do that again.  It was actually quite helpful.  Here is the post from the start of our 2013-2014 year with my notes.

Ds3 12yo 7th grade
Math  Abeka Basic Math, work on multiplication with 5x5 does not equal 10 We actually finished up the math workbook but never got through the times tables
Language   Writing Skills book 2  Liked this one quite well, no frills grammar and writing
Science  Tops Science units on electricity and chemistry to begin with  This did not go over well.  Too hard to follow.  Even though it was very hands on I feel they didn’t learn anything and we wound up not doing much science this year
History  Complete Book of US History  Another one I liked.  Simple but efficient
Geography  continue Trail Guide to World Geography  We completed this one!  It was a lot of work to put together but a very nice geography resource
Nature  The Nature Connection  Wish I hadn’t bought this one.  Way too simple
Reading  various classic books  Ds chose some good books and progressed nicely with his diction and read-aloud skills.  I have to note here that toward the end of the school year ds became restless, bored and uninterested in school.  We switched him to Time 4 Learning for the last few months and he did very well.  I think he needed a break from me.  ;)
Ds4 8yo 3rd grade
Math  Abeka work on basic skills with 2 plus 2 does not equal 5  Abeka math has worked well with all the other boys, but not ds4.  I think it’s the repetition
Language  Writing Skills book A, continue Explode the Code series  We never made it to the Writing Skills book, but did continue with ETC and thank God for that…ds is now reading proficiently and proudly!
for all the other subjects ds4 will follow along with ds3  This system worked great.  Ds4 enjoyed having lessons as a group and I enjoyed not having to teach twice

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!