Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I Went, I Saw, I’m Sleepy

Yeah, that’s the best I could do, what with about 3 and 1/2 hours sleep lol.  Ds2 and I went to the midnight showing of the new Harry Potter movie and survived!  And I didn’t even fall asleep!  We agreed that it’s a great movie, but definitely a change from the usual HP movies.  Ds3 (my 8yo) had wanted to go and I’m glad he didn’t…I don’t even know if he will like the movie when it comes out on dvd.  There were a lot of kids there in that age range, but mostly girls who probably enjoyed all the cute love scenes.

This movie was shot so differently than the others, there is a more thrilling, more up close, more scary element to it.  There is also however a great deal of humor and lightheartedness in this one, so it’s a nice balance.  There are scenes where you will be scared out of your seat, and scenes where you will laugh out loud…not sure I’ve ever done that while watching a HP movie before.

The movie adhered to the book fairly well…just fairly.  While I don’t mind them leaving out parts of the book (done before and managed nicely in both #4 and #5) I do and did mind when whole scenes were added in!  I found myself leaning over to ds and whispering, “This isn’t in the book!” several times.  And the thing is, they could have put in good parts from the book that they left out in place of the extra scenes, imo.  Also they pretty drastically changed some scenes from the book, but it worked out okay.  Basically they inserted Luna in most of the parts Tonks had…so we missed out on the whole Tonks/Remus falling in love storyline.  That’s okay, it probably plays out better in a book anyway. :)

So let’s say you aren’t a Harry Potter fan…haven’t read the books or seen any movies.  Will you enjoy The Half Blood Prince?  Yep.  Will you “get” most of it?  Most, but not all.  If you are a fan of the book will you like this movie?  Yes, but you will also miss some parts.  Go see the movie…AND FOR GOODNESS SAKES READ THE BOOK!  Doing so will GREATLY enhance the experience. :)  Is it nap time yet?

3 comments:

  1. Loved the review! I can't wait to see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. B. is going to see this movie with some friends Friday night.
    I'm not sure I've even watched HP5 yet. I really enjoy the books though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry my email seems to be hidden. but i'll get you fixed up with the tickets.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!