Sunday, April 4, 2010

Fireworks Over Toccoa Discussion

Over at 5 Minutes For Books there is a  post and a linky for joining in on a discussion of the book Fireworks Over Toccoa that I reviewed here.  The one discussion question that appealed to me was

  • *Do you think duty is ever more important than love?
  •  

    Do not read this is you haven’t read the book yet!

    The whole love vs duty dilemma was the part of the book that had me thinking the most.  Lily felt it was her duty, to her husband and his family, to not run away with her true love Jake…but only after her husband was suddenly and unexpectedly killed.  Was there no duty in the marriage vow she took?  She would have left the marriage for a man she just met and felt it was okay because her husband would have been able to move on.  But now he was dead and it was unfair to his memory and to his family to accept her true love Jake.  I found this very honorable of Lily and I was glad she did look beyond her own desires.  I just think it was a little late in the game.  But then we wouldn’t have had such a great book then, would we?  ;)  Do I think duty is more important than love?  Yes.  I think it is a mistake to shirk your duties for any reason.  If you have read the book then join in on the discussion…there are plenty more questions to weigh in on.  :)

    2 comments:

    1. You said this well, Julie.

      I still need to write up my discussion post, but I think that there is a lot to think about in this book!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Oh, so much to think about-- definitely!

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for stopping by!